Friday, April 22, 2011

RE: Anonymous Letter

MBBS/DDS Class of 2015
University of the West Indies, Mona
Kingston 7
Jamaica, W.I.


April 22, 2011

My fellow colleagues,
On the threshold of the examination period, I was informed about an anonymous letter sent to the Principal, and Dean of the Faculty of Medical Sciences, UWI. The letter raised many concerns of confidential nature.

I was ably informed by the President of the Jamaica Medical Students’ Association (JAMSA) that the Dean acknowledges receipt of the letter and that whatsoever decisions to be made, will be made.

I am indeed appalled that a letter of complaint would be sent again, without first using the Executive that the class elected. We feel as though we are not trusted, and failing in our responsibilities to serve you. Concerns like these, should be properly filed, with optimal grammar and respect for Administration, and going through the routes provided for you.

With this in mind, I write to the member of the Class of 2015 who wrote the letter, to set up an anonymous email (since that is your preferred choice of modus operandi) and email me: ranisittol@gmail.com. If you do, I will even avail my phone number. Let us discuss your concerns in an open, more mature forum.

I also write to the members of the Class of 2015, and encourage and implore you to move through the routes provided, that is the powers that be: your Class Executive, Departmental heads, Stage Co-ordinator, Programme Co-ordinator, then Dean.
I write to my colleagues in our senior classes and I understand your frustration, especially with the Class of 2015. I must apologize that our actions have affected your preparation for your examinations. I do not however appreciate threatening calls made to members of my Class, or my Class Executive. I do not expect that medical professionals would behave in this manner.

I do hope that you all understand the burden that I and the members of the Executive now bear, in handling this issue. I must say that I am not supportive of anonymous threatening calls to members of my Executive.
I also use this medium to say that no letter, and none of the complaints expressed were discussed with me. None of the issues raised were pointed out in any way, formal or informal to me. I say this to say that the Executive of the Class of 2015 was not approached, and as such could not have given ‘permission’ for these actions to have been taken.
This issue must be resolved as soon as possible, and the anonymous letters, calls and texts of threats must stop.

Rani Sittol,
President,
MBBS/DDS Class of 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment